Posted April 30, 2012on:
I love health bars I get from the health food stores but find them a little too sweet for my liking. So I decided to have a go at making mine at home. There are different types of health bars but decided to make one with nuts and seeds mainly because of their nutritional benefits, and toast the nuts cause it brings out more of the nutty taste. Makes about 10 bars.
½ handful sunflower seeds
½ handful pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp. manuka honey (any brand of honey will do)
½ handful raisins
- Place the almonds of a baking tray and toast in the oven at 180 degrees centigrade for 5 minutes.
- Chop the coconuts in a food processor, place in a bowl and set aside
- Take the nuts out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes
- Place in food processor and chop, do not grind them
- Add all the ingredients to the chopped coconuts and mix thoroughly, until the mixture sticks together.
- Pour the contents onto a flat, square baking tray and spread evenly
- Place in the fridge and allow to set for about 30 – 45 mins.
- Once set, cut into desired bar sizes and enjoy. Will keep for a week in the fridge in tupperware or wrap the individual bars in cling films – great as ‘on the go’ snack.