Posted August 31, 2012on:
This is a salad I love having especially in Lebanese restaurants. It simple to make, light, full of protein, vitamins, fibre, and a great accompaniment to any food like fish, meat or chicken. Also great at barbecues. I got the recipe from a friend, and the first time I made it, didn’t quite turn out right – quinoa was a little soggy!! They say practice makes perfect – right? So the next time I made it for a friend’s barbecue, it went down a treat and disappeared in the blink of an eye – felt good about that!
1 cucumber, flesh taken out and diced
1 tomato, flesh taken out and diced
Juice of 1 lemon (freshly squeezed)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt
Pinch of coarse ground black pepper (can’t live without my black pepper!)
2 cups boiling water
1. Wash the quinoa thoroughly
2. Place in a saucepan, add boiling water and cook for about 15-20 mins or until water dries out and quinoa is soft and fluffy
3. While the quinoa is cooking, dice the tomato and cucumber in small cubes. Was and coarsely chop the herbs, set aside.
4. Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and black pepper
5. Place the cooked quinoa in a salad bowl, add the vegetables and herbs.
6. Add the dressing and mix thoroughly until everything is coated with the dressing.
7. Taste to make sure it’s to your desired taste, place in the fridge for about an hour, and serve.